Thursday, May 8, 2008

Works Burger - Rainworth Seafoods

Well readers, your humble host is back on the Burgers after a 2 Month Hiatus. In my absence I`ve gone and married my myself a beautiful wife and honeymooned for 2 weeks in Thailand. I did`nt eat any burgers during the lead up to the wedding - I did`nt want a burger gut for the wedding photo`s.
Anyways the safari is back - I did my usual googling of 'gourmet burger brisbane' and turned up a couple of contenders I`d seen before but had`nt pursued. My pick for today was to be 'Harry`s Diner' at Windsor, but when I tried calling them the phone was disconnected and WhitePages did`nt have a listing for them. Perhaps they`ve closed??
The next on the list was the Works Burger from Rainworth Seafoods. This Burger recieved a couple of noms for Brisbanes best Burger from some brisbane times column and also from a forum post on that aussie techno website thats name slips my mind right now.

So we made the Journey out thru Rosalie to Rainworth to the venue of what I was expecting to be Burger of the Year!! On entry - Rainworth Seafoods is your stock fish and chippery. Nothing stood out to me to differentiate it - usual fare of battered savs and fish displayed in the counter window. I ordered the works burger for I believe $6.50 and here is what I received:


Works Burger - Rainworth Seafoods

Works Burger with Tin Scale
I opened the burger and thought - is this it? I was expecting something fabulous but this was stock - not a bad fishnchip shop burger but nothing special - but on to the burger description - Stock white bread burger buns with sesame seeds - these were fresh but obviously not made on premises. Salads included a pinch of fried onion, tomato, slice of beetroot and shredded iceberg. I must compliment the amount of salad - there was just enough to know it was there but not enough to overpower the good stuff. The cheese slice was some kind of processed slice. Topped with a couple of rashers of real bacon and a tidy fried egg - well cooked just past making a mess. The burger was also seasoned with BBQ sauce. All in all a fair support to the headline burger pattie that IMHO was a fairly miserable excuse for a burger pattie. 5mm thick at best, well cooked and dry. Without the sauce my burger would not have been enjoyable.
Now I don`t want to give the wrong idea - this was a fair fishnchip shop burger, it was`nt greasy or messy but it really just was`nt anything special. The sign did`nt promise a gourmet burger, so perhaps its a little harsh getting rated on the gourmet scale but thems the brake I`m afraid.
Rainworth Works Midway

I was overall unimpressed but not unhappy. Kieran on the otherhand thought his burger was great! Laurie rated his burger with pineapple a 7.5. I`ll give the burger a 6.5 giving points to its tidy construction and lack of greasy after mess. If the burger pattie was twice the thickness then I might have got excited. Looking back at the pictures though - I`d love to eat it again right now.

1 comment:

Burger Lover said...

Gees guys. Bun not made on the premises. Of course it isn't for $6.50. You can't rate this on that scale. Find me a place that makes there buns on the premises.