Friday, March 14, 2008

Boss Hog Burger - Hogs Breath Brisbane

When I started this blog many moons ago, Laurie brought up Hog`s Breath Cafes apparent expertise at burger making. I scoffed at this, as my last rib&steak combo experience was a shocker. But as we`ve done the Milton rounds, it was the Hog`s Breaths turn. Located at the top of Milton rd in the Caxton St precinct, the restaurant sits unassuming among a great deal of construction activity. I was not expecting much.

Me and the G ordered the slice of paradise - a cheese burger, Laurie got the Boss Hog burger with bacon and avocado. Shaunak thought he`d try a Barra Burger cos thats how he rolls.
The menu advertises fresh baked damper rolls - I was fearing a High-GI High Kj sweet bun - but I`ll state it upfront - The Hogs Breath makes Quality Burgers - In fact, these burgers are the current title holder for Brisbane`s Best Burger - in your hosts humble opinion. Now onto these awesome burgers -


Boss Hog Burger


Laurie's Boss Hog really was the star of the show - thats double beef, double bega cheddar cheese slices, bacon, avocado, nice lettuce, tomato, red onion, beetroot and hickory bbq sauce. Thats a whole lot of good lovin right there! The bacon and avocado were extras, $3 each - so Lauries burger ended up costing $21 but damn it looks good -


The Boss!

Graham and myself opted for the humbler little brother - the slice of paradise. I think the paradise they are referring to is the cheese. At $12.95 this is a good deal. I was super impressed with my burger. The hickory smoke lifted the burger into another dimension, and whilst I consumed it I was transported to my happy place. For real this was some quality grub. The damper roll was exceptionally good - not too airy or big or sweet - and it did`nt fall apart soggy in the burgers closing stages. There was a perfect amount of BBQ sauce so it did`nt spill over the plate or leave me with messy hands. The well placed beetroot, fancy hydro lettuce, big juicy tomato slice and red onion did not overpower the pattie - they just set the thing off delightfully. The pattie itself was not overly seasoned, and of a ground beef variety but it was fresh, fat , juicy and not too greasy.

This was a blissful burger experience of the highest magnitude. If the cheese was actually layered in contact with the pattie this could well have been nirvana.


Slice of Paradise

The only negative was Shaunaks Barra burger - served up at least 5 minutes after our meals. He did`nt rate it but hey who orders fish at a steakhouse? All the meals came with twisty fries and a small side salad of lettuce - which i took great pleasure in wrapping round my fries to eat them. I think the twisty fries are meant to represent pig tails.
We were all thoroughly impressed and rated these burgers a 9!!
Burger Safari STRONGLY RECOMMENDS!!!

1 comment:

Burger Lover said...

Well guys I hate to tell you but this pattie is not fresh. Also they don't make there buns on the premises. Oh and it comes with the standard salad at that price too. lettuce, tomato, beetroot, onion. What is different about that to compared to a chip shop burger. Presentation is good but I hope you are not rating it all just on that! Don't get me wrong the burger is fantastic. But you rated some others badly for having chip shop salads.