Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Charger - Route 74 Toowong




Got the hot tip via email yesterday from Jason the Bacon Bacon Bacon Man

Benno – this came in my mailbox the other day. Interested in heading to Toowong today at lunch to try it out?

This is a snippet of the flyer he scanned and sent me - fuck yeah I said and rounded the troops



Route 74 actually lives in a shopping centre food court. Decked at with a small eat in area, and burger names like - The Charger and the 18 Wheeler we thought we were in for something special. I was so excited and hungry getting there I totally ignored Brents phat new GPS cd changer dvd player thingo and instead focused on the feast for which we were about to receive.

Laurie's Charger was the first over the serving counter, arriving plainly wrapped in white paper and looking none too special. Unwrapped it looked quite messy too and horror of horrors the burger was served on a Knot Roll. A Knot Roll does not a gourmet burger make.
Lauries Charger Burger


Brent thought he would go all out and ordered the 18 Wheeler. We were expecting a big ass truck of a burger - something similar to the flyer photo but here is what we ended up with:

Brents 18 Wheeler


The charger came with usual salad accompanymants standard chip shop salads of lettuce tomato and beetroot - pluc 2 rashers of bacon and cheese. I was hanging for the bacon and indeed it was the tastiest part of my burger. I found the bread stodgy and the pattie dry and unseasoned.

My Charger Burger
Overall we were unimpressed with Route 74s burger fare, they did not live up to expectations and we vowed not to return. To be competing directly with Macca`s Route 74 will need to lift their game. Burgers rated a 6 .

3 comments:

Burger Lover said...

Well all I can say is that I think you got this place wrong. I have eaten there a couple of times and they are fantastic. I don't know why you dissed the seeded knot roll. Much the same as any other seeded bun. It holds together nicely. They have made a lot of changes as they havn't been there that long. You should check it out again. The price is damm good for the product you get. all under $10.

Gemma Puddle-Duck said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This has to be a joke. So much love for Route 74 burgers.

Look, I don't blame you if you got lost and brought a McDonalds burger by mistake but jesus.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Brent, Route 74 dinner at Towoong is overated, they have a variety of burgers but thats just on the menu, nothing special about them and certainly I would never go back there after seeing how the manager screams at his employees!