Sunday, August 3, 2008

BBBB Cafe 63 1/2 - Hamilton

A new job and new turf for burgers. We ventured out to Racecourse Rd at Hamilton to the country styled Cafe 63. Big old wooden tables and chirs, rustico style. The cafe kinda has a florist out the front, giving the 63 1/2 its half or something like that. Jarrad recommended the BBBB burger - Brisbane`s Best Biggest Burger. Bold Claim. I was intrigued, hoping for something really special. The menu billed the burger as having both and egg and bacon, caramelised onion, home made mince pattie on a giant panini. Direct from West Auckland apparently - not sure if you have seen Outrageous Fortune on TV but I think the bogan ass family was from west auckland so it was an interesting claim to make.

The burger arrived looking quite impressive, top tilte to the side, big sunny runny egg on top and a multi grain roll ( panini? hmmmm). The pattie was an impressive thickness but the bacon was well undercooked and has an enormous amount of fat - uncooked fat at that. Kill me for being a short cut bacon man but I spent a good 90 seconds preening my burger before putting the lid on and digging in.


This shot shows the lovely salad that came on the side. minimal salad on the burger but a couple of slices of tomato. The burger pattie, while nice and thick and seasoned, was undercooked, and could`ve done with some tomato relish of some kind. The absence of cheese was unpleasant IMHO and the burger was quite a messy dripping affair, leaving a pool on the plate that you could`nt rest the bun in.

There was a hint of mustard in there somewhere, but the side salad was pretty tasty, I put this down to some funky ass country dressin stylee lovin. Did I mention the hot florist girls? I have now. less pretty flowers than exotic orchids.

Overall a reasonable effort for the price ($12) but a couple more minutes on the grill for the bacon and pattie could've made me a happy man. However, a fair effort - I`d eaten a McDonalds McAmerica Olympic Bagel for breakfast, so I might`ve been a bit over egg and bacon but regardless BBBB the burger aint. 7/10 at a stretch.

No comments: