Thursday, February 21, 2008

Classic Burger - Seasons Ashgrove

I spotted Seasons at Ashgrove one evening when I was picking up some curries fro Taj Bengal Indian restaurant - which for the record makes the best curries in brisvegas (Bengal Fish Curry). I wandered past what looked like a fish and chip shop when I spotted the magic words 'Gourmet Burgers'.
Checked and noted, I put that in my mental back pocket and plotted to head back to sample the burger wares at the nearest most practicable occasion. That happened to be a Tuesday night. We did`nt feel like cooking so I brought up the burger thang and we headed down there. I have to admit I was fairly excited by the prospect of a localish gourmet burger hot spot - Frankly I had high hopes.
When we arrived, I maintained my optimism but my lady was`nt so convinced. The gourmet selection had a lot of variety of meats ( pork and turkey burgers amongst the mix ) but there was nothing that differentiating about the salad selections - 'stock' would be the word I`d use.
So I ventured the right hand path and ordered the classic burger with cheese. Courtney tried the 'Chicken from the East'. For giggles we thought we`d order a couple of 'crab claws'.
Here`s my plate as delivered:-
Classic with cheese next to Crab Claw


Close up Classic

Classic Midway

First thing to notice is the dodgy knot roll. These looked like standard Coles 6 in a bag pull apart your self kind of rolls. The menu advertised 'Gluten Free' rolls - but these were`nt available on the night. I suppose gourmet could refer to the dried herby/pepper sprinkled on the plate.

So working up to the burger, I bit in to my 'crab claw' and it was still frozen on the inside!! Yowza, bad start. Took them back to the apologetic counter lady and went about biting into my burger. Suprisingly, the meat pattie was pretty tasty. What let my burger down was the light as air knot roll. This was something my mum might have dished me up to shut me up about 20 years ago - but she would`nt have called it a gourmet burger.
The chicken from the east burger was a shocker. No 'burger ness' this was slither pieces of old lukewarm chicken partially reheated, doused in some dodgy sauce you could hardly taste and topped with a bit of lettuce and tomato. I ate a chunk of chicken and it was rubbery. It tasted like it was reheated - and only barely. Under the tasteless sauce the airy roll disintegrated, and for a small burger this made a lot of mess. Courtney rated The Chicken from the East a 4.
I gave my classic a 5.5 - was probably worth a 6.5 but the frozen crab claw was an awful start.

No comments: