Monday, January 21, 2008

Grill`d Bulimba

So with much excitement and anticipation, my lovely lady and I fought off the monday-nightis-itis by making the trek over to Bulimba to sample the wares of the brand spankin new Grill`d burger franchise. Jason sent me a scan of an article that someone wrote in some brisbane newspaper, several people have mentioned it to me over the past week - we were even going to do a work trip this Friday. But when one has burgers on the brain like i do I just had to go try.
The joint is located on trendy Oxford St. Its got heaps of seating, so no worries getting a table even if you go at peak times. The wall art is like a bad acid trip - cows eating chicken burgers - chickens eating cowburgers - weird cursive about no roller skating girls (I like roller skating girls !). From what I read in the newspaper article, grilled is a but of a big deal in Melbourne, with perhaps 7 outlets. Their website suffers from its flash heavy-ness - that whilst visually stunning, is like more of that bad acid. But this is not about visuals - this is about the burgers - and what stunning examples were these!!!


5. Mustard & Pickled

I`ll start with my girl's burger (is`nt she lucky!). The mustard and pickled was AWESOME! I was jealous. This had real pickles, real tasty mustard, real tasty cheese - wholemeal bun!! great salad - i`ll expand more on that below.

4. Summer Sunset
There's something about pineapple that calls to me - but i must start learning to resist the sweet yellow sirens call. It was the pineapple that ultimately let my burger down - but its no fault of Grill`d - I must learn to read because no sooner than after sitting down after ordering I realized I`d picked a burger without cheese - oh well - I saved 4gs of fat - :(


Summer Sunset Midway

Grill`d burger patties are great - they profess to using lo/no fat minced beef but season it up a heap with visible herbs throughout the pattie. On their own the patties have an awesome charcoally savoury meatiness. In the burger they are perfect. My only criticism, and this being part of my burger fetish, is that they are`nt thick enough, perhaps being only 1/3rd of an inch, or 8mls depending on which way you swing.
The rolls on the other hand, are absolutely perfect, wholemealy, not too light, held the contents well till the very last bite. Cos lettuce, plenty of tomato in the salads, some tasty relish on mine.
The real champ of our burger experience was the mustard & pickle. Do yourself a favour and get one of these. Ratings? I gave mine an 8, marked down because the pineapple seemed to disjoint the burger, and the pattie width. Courtney gave hers a 9 and I tend to agree.

Burger Safari RECOMMENDS!!!

1 comment:

eats said...

hey ben, i've been to grill'd a couple of times of the last 2 weeks and figured i should see how you rate it. i loved my burger yesterday - mustard and pickles. it was sooo much tastier than the bacon and cheese that i had last week. i don't think i'll ever try another one - that mustard and pickles is a winner. to save me time from reading your whole blog, has any other place rated higher than grill'd?

i also like the size of these burgers - it's achieveable to finish, you feel full, but you don't feel stuffed. and the middle doesn't fall out while you're eatint it.

by the way, how's the new job going?